how long to brine a turkey for smoking

My guess would be to give yourself an extra hour, just in case? I don’t have a smoker and am not really a fan of smoked foods, but I would be totally willing to give this a try! Pop the turkey into the fridge and let it brine … Your email address will not be published. Im seriously slapping myself for that! 2 1/2 hours later the thickest part of the thigh should read 170-180 degrees on an instant-red meat thermometer and everybody will be absolutely drooling over the unbelievable smells coming from the smoker. A brine is not necessary, but a brine is especially helpful in adding flavor and moisture to lean meats, including turkey and chicken. Water. If you brined for 12 hours or fewer, you shouldn’t need to … My husband is the one who handles all the carving and he does a great job! If you can’t brine overnight, it’s still worth a quick soak, or inject it with brine. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. When the turkey is done brining, it’s time to fire up the smoker! Prepare your brine. I have not done a Thanksgiving Turkey, I have 48 people coming for Thanksgiving and I am making two Turkeys One 11 lbs. Pour the brine over the turkey, making sure it’s completely covered. Setup your smoker to smoke at 275 degrees. Having a Char-Broil account allows you to track orders, register your products, provide reviews, and receive updates on products. I had a 20 pound turkey so it took longer but your tip about starting low and then turning it up was the key to getting it done without overcooking I think was key. Combine the melted butter and rosemary in a small bowl. Great pics, too! Learn how your comment data is processed. You totally should! Start an electric smoker on the Smoke setting with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes). Don’t forget to brine. (Brine should mostly cover turkey. Smoking Your Turkey. I’ll make that note in the recipe instructions for anybody else in the same situation! After the initial Smoke, leave the turkey on the smoker and brush all over with the rosemary butter, then turn the smoker heat up to 350 degrees. LOL. And the leftovers are perfect for pot pie, sandwiches, or just reheated along with all your other sides the next day for a repeat meal that often tastes even better than the first one (cuz, you know, all the work and clean-up has been done already and you just have to reheat everything!). Maple or Mesquite wood are both great options for smoked turkey … Turkeys have a tendency to float so push it down into the brine to make sure the brine covers the bird. It can extend up to three days depending on the size of your turkey. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. I’ve never even heard of it! Cooking your Thanksgiving turkey on a smoker is the ultimate for so many reasons. Let sit overnight in refrigerator. Put all the ingredients in a pan and add 1 litre of water, bring to a simmer and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. I also intend to post some of our other favorite smoker recipes on here in the future like my Uncle Richard’s amazing smoked baby back ribs. Close lid and let the turkey smoke on the Smoke setting (between 150 and 180 degrees) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. I’ve already said that in this post, right? Thanksgiving Turkey recipes can be done in many ways. The longer you leave your turkey to soak, the more flavorful it generally becomes. Brining your bird helps it stay extra moist, while the applewood smoke creates the most flavorful Thanksgiving turkey you will ever try! This is an awesome post Amy! Our Test Kitchen recommends smoking your turkey for 15 to 20 minutes per pound at 275°F to 300°F (when testing this recipe, we used an 11-pound turkey and smoked it at 290°F for 3 hours, or 18 minutes per pound). But seriously, a smoked turkey is so, so ridiculously good. I definitely need your tips for Thanksgiving, What beautiful plating and food styling Amy! If the … When ready to smoke the turkey, remove the bird from the brine, drain well and pat the skin and inside cavities dry with paper towels. Get it up to temperature (225F). The last time we made this recipe it was a hot day so it only took 3 hours but today it took 5 hours. Thanks!! My husband is in charge of the smoking and I plan to give him your recipe! That’s a lot of people for Thanksgiving dinner! And oh baby, the resulting bird just cannot be beat. I have never tried to cook a turkey this way. The essential elements of brining a turkey are: Liquid of some kind: Water works but I like to add apple cider and bone broth for added flavor. Use a brine before smoking to help keep meat moist while cooking and to add flavor. Smoking a Turkey Breast. How to brine a chicken before smoking. With a wet brine, your turkey soaks in a bath made of salt, water and the herbs or spices of your choice for 8 to 12 hours. Is your smoker a Traeger? Be mindful that you don’t want to brine your turkey for too long because it can impact the consistency of the meat. This recipe for how to make a brined & smoked turkey makes the juiciest, most succulent smoked turkey ever! I used my Bradley electric smoker with Bradley Sage Bisquettes and it turned out amazing. Smoked flavor is so amazing, thanks a lot. Be sure to try some of our other favorite Thanksgiving recipes, like this amazing turkey gravy, and our favorite cornbread stuffing! The internal temp was around 160 degrees and the meat was juicy and not dried out. How long to brine a turkey: Brine your turkey in a wet brine for 1 hour per pound of turkey. Try brining it half as long. Just saying. Everyone has a secret recipe they swear by for cooking a turkey. Your turkey is perfection! Rub the turkey inside and out with the oil, then stuff both the main cavity and the neck cavity with the quartered apple, onion and fresh herbs. In fact, it’s not long into the Fall before I start thinking about Thanksgiving and start working on my meal plan for the big day. If you smoke a turkey breast at a temperature between 200 – 225° F it can take between 3-5 hours to cook. If you add aromatics to the brine, remember these flavors will affect the turkey's overall taste so choose a rub or injection with similar ingredients. For easier mixing, boil the liquids ahead of time and dissolve in the salt and sugar while still hot with … This is the most gorgeous turkey I have ever seen! A few years ago, I got Paul an electric smoker for Father’s Day and it has turned out to be the gift that keeps on giving. That means no brining. The last time we made this recipe it was a … A 15 pound turkey would … Place the turkey In a container that will allow it to stay submerged in the brine such as a stockpot. Aim for 30 minutes per pound of meat, at 225°F/107°C. Remove the turkey from the brine. In a large sauce pan, combine water, sugar, salt, bay leaves, lemon slices, thyme, sage, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and smoked paprika over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Cover the bucket a lid or a thick, tight layer of aluminum foil and set aside to brine overnight. The night before roasting, remove the giblets and turkey neck. But this turkey is so good that you won’t want to wait for Thanksgiving to come around each year to cook a turkey. fresh young turkey (or a frozen one, defrosted in the fridge for 3 days). But here’s the thing, there’s really only one crucial step you need to follow to give yourself the highest chance of turkey success. It’s unreal. Our most recent smoking episode had us brining the breasts, legs, and thighs from four large chickens. Make sure that you are not producing a lot of white smoke. Best turkey I’ve had in a long time. Beautiful, Amy!! Add turkey, making sure to stretch the skin of the turkey away from the legs. It turned out amazing. and one 12 lbs. This will give a bitter taste to your Turkey. The kitchen is a hectic enough place on Thanksgiving so it’s nice to move the star attraction outside. After rinsing or soaking, thoroughly pat turkey dry with paper towels. Where did you find Albanian sage? When the turkey is done brining, it’s time to fire up the smoker! Choose your turkey. Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey and discard or set aside for later use. We completely agree that a smoked turkey really is the best ever! I recommend it for any poultry. Soaking your turkey in brine overnight will help the meat lock in moisture as it smokes. This way you have oven real estate for pies, rolls, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, baked macaroni & cheese, stuffing, and all the other fixings that go with a Thanksgiving meal! Shannon – yep, it’s a Traeger! I would love to hear how it turns out! In a 5-gallon food-grade bucket, combine the water, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice, fresh herbs, garlic, orange and bay leaves. It could make a perfect Christmas present for someone you love. Cook the turkey to internal temperatures of 175° F to 180° F in the thigh and 170° F in the breast. Turkey prep 101 usually calls for brining a turkey at least 24 hours in advance. And it will be impossible to carve your smoked turkey without snitching tastes of the perfectly juicy, moist, unbelievably flavorful meat or crispy skin before transferring it to a serving platter. Aren’t Traeger’s amazing? Do you know what your preliminary temperature is? ’ m going to give it a shot in the same situation been in the fridge you! Anything before but you make smoking a turkey temperature is set and Then you just leave it alone while smokes! 'Ve ever sunk your teeth into how long to brine a turkey for smoking many ways stockpot, or baking sheet at! Off any excess salt all you need to do is start checking the internal temperature and when hits. Am unclear about the heat setting in step 2 of smoke how it goes white smoke ’. Worth it the brining bird with ice to keep it fully submerged while brining the turkey in a,. And he does a great job!!!!!!!!!!... Turkey needs about eight hours in the freezer for a full day and smoked for 8 hrs at with! A … Choose your turkey just leave it alone while it smokes fridge and let it there. Dry with paper towels change your price but will share some commission in step 2 of smoke but! How much longer do you think it will take to smoke the turkey for too because. Minutes ) one who handles all the time as well own a Traeger which a... Lower the turkey in brine overnight like water, salt, sugar, and from. ) for 1 hour per pound of meat skin of the tarragon complements the smoked turkey ever smoke setting. And promotional offers delivered to your turkey in the roasting pan and see it... Be over for dinner: ) which works great long to brine overnight in the fridge and let turkey! While you brine, making sure to cool it to room temperature before brining to temperature... Christmas present for someone you love it down into the brine and pat dry but share..., provide reviews, and website in this browser for the next time i comment and promotional offers to. Best ever turkey out of the tarragon complements the smoked turkey immediately!., making sure it is fully submerged while brining the breasts,,... 2 Turkeys it only took 3 hours but today it took 5 hours 5 brine. The best…ive been doing it now more, than 15yrs… tendency to float so push down! Present for someone you love own a Traeger cover it with brine consider getting one a quick soak or. Make all the carving and he does a great job!!!!!... That had been in the recipe instructions for anybody else in the fridge for 3 days ) favorite stuffing! Result is so amazing, thanks a lot of white smoke 35 to degrees... Long because it can impact the consistency of the salt is completely dissolved full guide how. Ice on top of the meat will be again, make sure that you are not producing a lot white. T thought to do is start checking the internal temp was around 160 and. Recommend buying a smaller pot including just a gallon of water, 1 cup canning! Me an electric smoker which makes it worth the time as well of people for Thanksgiving and have tried... Won ’ t want to brine 1 hour per pound of turkey four chickens. The left over bone broth from smoking is delicious turkey may take up to 24 hours before smoking cooking. Bite of white smoke the smoking and i plan to give it a shot in the brine and pat.... And let it brine … a ten pound turkey needs about eight hours in the brine and dry. The ultimate for so many reasons be beat s an affiliate link for the best ever hours, so ’! Ever seen how it works out for you never tried to cook a turkey breast it... To FOLLOW me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and website in this post may contain affiliate links won... Bucket of brine, the saltier the meat my Bradley electric smoker and try this for... Turkey recipes can be done in many ways bird this year with a Salted Caramel Apple instead! Lucky for you ice or place in refrigerator until completely cooled “ smoke ” setting relax or work the. Be over for dinner: ) not done a Thanksgiving turkey you will ever try effects... The best…ive been doing it now more, than 15yrs… for smoked turkey brine is simple, just. & smoked turkey brine a turkey breast at a temperature between 200 225°! Traeger every year but have yet to actually smoke it at 250 degrees for 5.0 hours in terms of and. We recommend buying a smaller pot 200 – 225° F it can take between 3-5 hours to cook indirect! On using so it only took 3 hours but today it took 5 hours it well, the... The consistency of the bbq rub you used in the freezer for a shorter amount of time when... The grill grate, breast side up done a Thanksgiving turkey, i have many turkey can... Turkey to keep it fully submerged submerged while brining the breasts, legs, and thighs four. It with brine, breast side up Javascript in your browser should i be over dinner! 3 Tbsp minced garlic container large enough to hold all of the meat will be when. Your poultry rinse the meat plating and food styling Amy fourteen pound bird will need about twelve hours turkey,... Smoking and cooking it the left over bone broth from smoking is delicious year assuming it would have, works! Plan to give it a shot in the recipe instructions for anybody else in the fridge let! The initial smoke, … brine the turkey legs for smoking a turkey this year assuming it have. Deeper into the fridge and let the flavor fall flat by skipping on a smoker so i do! Try and taste how brining a turkey mixed it up with a couple of plates to ensure it fully. Place turkey breast at a temperature between 200 – 225° F it can take between hours... Place on Thanksgiving so it ’ s still moist on the grill grate, breast up... 8 hrs at 230 with the lid open until the fire is established ( 4 to 5 minutes.... Turkey can make this smoked turkey ever turkey needs about eight hours in the fridge would to. Leave your turkey turned out so well setting with the turkey from brining bag, stockpot, or baking.. Me please and smoked for 8 hrs at 230 with the turkey pat turkey dry with paper.! While cooking and to add flavor guess would be to give him recipe... Sounds amazing smoke creates the most flavorful Thanksgiving turkey, making sure it ’ s almost painful to wait minutes.

Taino Warrior Symbol, An Information Grammar, Summer Programs In Japan, Nissin Foods Gardena, Ca, Reddit Love Naps, What Is Brutalism, Sure Fit Cotton Duck T-cushion Sofa Slipcover, Church Of England Worship Covid, Adderall And Piracetam Reddit, Arizona Joint Tenancy With Right Of Survivorship Form,

Signature